Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Turtlenecks

I have always reviled turtlenecks. The combination of sensitive skin (i.e. itchy fabric on my neck BAD) and having a short neck has made me avoid them like cropped baby-ts. But on a recent shopping expedition in New York City, I not only bought a turtleneck, I spent three days looking for one.

My skin is very sensitive, and it flares up in the winter, which means that I am constantly trying to find ways of not furthering the sensitivity and hiding the red blotchy skin from the public eye. People are constantly suggesting turtlenecks, and for the reasons mentioned above, I always bulge my eyes and refuse.

However, out of desperation, I began to look for a really nice turtleneck to hide in. I was looking for something white or creamy, not made in China, with 100% soft cotton. I found just that at Olive and Bette’s, a cute chain shop of high quality designers in NYC. It is creamy, one-size-fits-most, soft as a baby’s bum and best of all, it is super long (the hem, not the neck) which means I can wear it in many ways: as a dress, over leggings or skinny jeans or just the usual way. I wore it over skinny jeans the other night, and dressed it up with a lot of jewellery and a big belt. The bonus: I can wear necklaces with it, which is something I can’t do when my skin is flared up.

So I eat my words. I love turtlenecks.

No comments:

Post a Comment