Friday, December 7, 2007

Fashion Conscious

I don’t celebrate xmas (i’m referring to the consumer holiday here, not the actual one). My family is hindu but is also generally just lazy about holidays that aren’t birthdays so even as kids who were being raised as ‘good north americans’, our gift-giving and plastic-tree decorating were kept to a minimum. So I am always surprised by the cash-spending-shopping-frenzy that happens throughout December. I am especially aware of it now, as people are ordering my jewellery and the products I have in stores are actually moving.

I figured it was an appropriate time to rant about how/why people spend their money at this time of year and offer my rather strong opinions.

FIrst of all, I really hate how people are forced to purchase items that someone may or may not even like/use/want/need. I am of the school of thought that gift giving should happen when you are inspired to buy or make something for someone that you know they will love. so if it happens three days after valentine’s or in the middle of the work week in a month with no long weekend, why the hell not? surprise/random gifts are so much more fun to receive too!

so, if you have no choice but to do what you always do, PLEASE at least seek out local artisan/craft/gift fairs and spend your money on HAND MADE, LOCALLY MADE, QUALITY items that can, at the very least, be admired for its beauty and craftsmanship if not re-gifted guilt-free.

That’s all for now, I have to get back to mass-producing christmas gifts that I really hope don't get re-gifted.

No comments:

Post a Comment