Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Red Carpet Round Up

I usually completely ignore the Oscars but I was home and needing tv-veg-out-time so I watched the Academy Awards in their entirety for the first time in my life.

I kept waiting to be blown away by the dresses but I didn't fall madly in love with anything. There are, however, some worth mentioning.

I don't know if this was on purpose, but I noticed that a lot of the incredible female talent of Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire, wore....sapphire blue. (see Michelle's comment below for the real reason - very cool!)

Tanya Kim from E-Talk wore a dress designed by Montreal's own Andy The Anh for the Becel Love Your Heart Campaign - that was pretty cool. It had "love your heart" embroidered on it too.

I really liked Maggie Gyllenhaal's Dries Van Noten number - it was one of the more unique dresses.

I thought Carey Mulligan had the most fun with her outfit: her Prada dress's short front hem showed off her great shoes, and the bust was embellished with tiny pieces of cutlery and other charms.

If I had to pick a Best, it would be Meryl Streep, queen of class. Instead of wearing a big-name designer and getting decked out in swaths of rhinest0ne-encrusted tulle, she wore an awesome white dress from Chris March, a Project Runway contestant.


4 comments:

  1. Oh how I love thee Meryl Streep. I wish she had won the oscar. Ah well... she wins best dressed according to Brazen Design! Even better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picks! Although I did fall in love with SJP's dress - which wasn't popular with the critiques but come on - Chanel Couture?! It was gorgeous!
    also - the ladies from Precious wore blue in support of the first black woman to win an Oscar:
    Oscar winner Mo'Nique said the color was a tribute to Hattie McDaniel, the first black woman to win an Oscar for her supporting role in Gone With the Wind. Mo'Nique explained, "The reason...I have on this royal blue dress is because it's the color...Hattie McDaniel wore in 1940 when she accepted her Oscar. The reason...I have this gardenia in my hair (is) it is the flower that Hattie McDaniel wore when she accepted her Oscar. So, for you, Ms. Hattie McDaniel, I feel you all over me, and it's about time that the world feels you all over them."

    XO M

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks anile! and you had to love Sandra Bullock's acceptance speech!

    and thanks a million, michelle for that amazingly informative explanation - i love that they wore blue as an homage to Hattie McDaniel - how powerful.

    and yes, SJP - what to say? i loved the dress but gotta say the she didn't look that comfortable wearing it - she was tuggin' at it on stage and that gets deduction marks from Brazen Design!

    xoR

    ReplyDelete
  4. I DID love Sandra Bullock's speech!

    ReplyDelete